If you’re looking to buy a new hedge trimmer, you’ve come to the right place. These days, everyone knows appliances are better when they’re cordless. The same is true for hedge trimmers. No longer will you be limited by how long your cord is.
There are great models available whether you’re looking for an electric or petrol model. There are pros and cons of each. However, the consensus is that they both are a lot more convenient when they’re cordless.
There is nothing more frustrating than when you’re trying to work in the yard and keep getting tangled up in cords. Or when you are halfway done a hedge and realize that the cord is too short. You have to deal with long, dirty extension cords and find outlets closer to the shrubbery. It wastes time and can become tiresome.
Best Cordless Hedge Trimmers UK 2019
With a cordless hedge trimmer, you don’t have to worry about tripping over cords. Since they are battery operated, you don’t plug them in at all. The only issue you may have to confront is your battery running out. You can either wait for the battery to recharge or you can keep a backup battery at the ready.
In this day and age, there is little reason why you should be limited by a cord. Unless you have a really personal reason, there simply is no justification for limiting your mobility that way. Since the battery is rechargeable, you don’t have to worry about your electric bill going up. You don’t even have to replace the battery all that often since most last up to 2 or 3 years.
Your manoeuvrability is also much better with a cordless hedge trimmer. You can angle the tool in a way where you can reach awkward and out of the way spots. This isn’t always possible with a corded trimmer. You can also reach high and low spots with a cordless trimmer that just isn’t possible with a traditional hedge trimmer.
Finally, cordless hedge trimmers are lighter than corded models. One of the biggest complaints of operating power tools is that it hurts your back. Heavy tools put a strain on our bodies that can last for days or weeks. Cordless models are much lighter. You aren’t carrying and hoisting a heavy extension cord. It is much kinder on your body.
What to Consider Before Buying Your Cordless Hedge Trimmer
There are a lot of things to consider before you buy your hedge trimmers. The first thing is whether you want petrol or electric. This article is going to focus on electric hedge trimmers. The advent of the cordless electric hedge trimmer has made the choice of petrol or electric much easier. Petrol hedge trimmers are better suited to commercial landscaping jobs. They are not ideal for the average consumer for the following reasons:
- They’re very heavy
- They are much noisier than electric trimmers
- They are more expensive
- They require more upkeep and maintenance
- They aren’t as safe as electric hedge trimmers
- They are heavier than the electric variety
- They are harder to use
Factors to Think About Before Buying Your Cordless Hedge Trimmer
For cordless electric hedge trimmers, there are a lot of factors to consider before you buy. Even for the beginner, it is important to think about all of these before you actually buy one.
Your garden: It’s important to know what kind of yard you are working in. How many hedges do you have? Is your garden a lot of area or square footage? You want to actually measure the height, depth and width of your hedges. This will help determine the size of your blades and the power level you need on your trimmer. Check to see what types of branches you may have to cut. It will determine the type of blade you need. Finally, how accessible are your bushes and hedges? You may need a trimmer that has shorter blades that are easier to manoeuvre.
Power: For household jobs, you shouldn’t need a super powerful hedge trimmer. Most electric hedge trimmers do come with multiple power levels so you can adjust it depending on how big your job is. Keep in mind that more powerful trimmers are heavier, more expensive, and take longer to recharge.
Blade length: The blade length is going to depend on the type and size of your hedges. Most people can get by with a blade length of 18 inches. You can get 20-inch blades, but the shorter blades are easier to work with. They are also safer than the longer blades. If you have hard to reach blades, you may want to consider the longer blades. You can angle the tool and reach them without the use of a ladder. They are also great for really low and high hedges. With the longer blades, you can reach these levels while standing in a normal position. This is great for your back.
Blade type: there are two considerations when it comes to blade type. One is how far apart the teeth are on the blades. Most people will be happy with about 3/8-3/4 of an inch between each blade tooth. You can get them as wide as a full inch, but you really don’t need them this far apart. You also have to decide if you want single or double-sided blades. Unless you’re doing thick branches, you can probably make do with the single blades. They are easier to use and are much safer.
Weight: the lighter the hedge trimmer, the easier it is to use. Lighter trimmers also are less likely to cause back pain. A rule of thumb is that the lower the power level on your trimmer, the less it will weigh.
Ease of Use: Obviously, a cordless trimmer is going to be the easiest kind to use. You also want to look at the models with an on-lock feature that allows for continuous use. Without this feature, you have to hold the power button down while you cut. Also, consider getting one with a wrap-around handle. It makes your job much easier and requires less shifting.
Maintenance: All appliances require some maintenance. You want to get a cordless hedge trimmer that requires the minimal amount of maintenance. Really, you just want to make sure you keep your blades sharp. You will have to replace them from time to time. Keep the unit clean and wipe it down after each use. Finally, consider getting a backup battery in case something goes wrong with yours. Also, if you have a backup battery, you can work for twice as long without having to recharge. The average trimmer can operate for about 40 minutes before it needs to be recharged.
Safety: Since you are dealing with a very sharp tool, it is important that you take safety into account. High powered blades are going to be more dangerous. Consider getting tooth extensions so that you can keep your hands far, far away from the blades. You want front handle shields to prevent your hands from getting cut. Many trimmers will come with an off-lock button so no kids or other people can accidentally turn the trimmer on. Finally, look for one a dual-switches – this requires you to operate the trimmer using both hands.
Durability: A general rule of thumb is that lower the power level, the longer your trimmer will work.
Noise: Generally, cordless hedge trimmers are much quieter than petrol models. They don’t require the motor revving that a petrol tool does. Your neighbours will appreciate this on early weekend mornings!
Battery type: When buying your cordless hedge trimmer, opt for the Lithium battery. It only lasts about 40 minutes which is a bit shorter than NiCad batteries. However, they are lighter and smaller and have no self-discharge. Most companies are leaning toward Lithium batteries anyway. The NiCad type are being used less and less. Regardless of the type, you should think about getting an extra battery so that you don’t have to wait for the unit to recharge when you’re in the middle of a job.
The Top Rated Cordless Hedge Trimmers
Bosch AHS 50-20 LI Cordless Hedge Cutter – Best Overall
This hedge trimmer is a great all-around quality hedge trimmer. It is ideal for the average homeowner and comes with all of the features you would want in a hedge trimmer. Unlike other trimmers, it has an ergonomic design so you can cut no matter what position your body is in. It’s AHS 50-20 LI offers a sawing function that lets you cut through thick, stubborn branches.
The Bosch hedge trimmer comes with blade tip protectors to keep your blades from getting damaged when working close to fences, walls and cement structures. It comes equipped with quick cut technology so you can get a nice smooth line on the top and sides of your hedges.
You expect your cordless hedge trimmer to perform some basic function. You want it to be able to cut clean lines so your shrubbery and hedges look good. You also want them to work quickly so you don’t have to repeat your efforts over and over again. Ideally, you want to be able to work without the need for a ladder. You want blades that are long enough to reach all branches and hedges. You also may want a telescopic pole that will allow you to extend your reach.
The Bosch cordless hedge trimmer performs the major functions of your ideal hedge trimmer. Here are some of the features enjoyed by people who bought the Bosch AHS 50-20 LI Cordless hedge cutter:
- Weights 2.5 kg
- Takes 1 lithium ion battery which is included
- Battery powered
- 18 volts
- Blades are 5 inches long
- Serrated blade edge
- Cutting diameter is 20 mm
- Comes with battery charger
- Perfect for medium sized hedges
The Pros and Cons of the Bosch Cordless Hedge Cutter
Like most products, the Bosch hedge cutter has its own pros and cons. It’s only fair that you know these upfront before you decide whether or not to buy this product.
- Because of its ergonomic design and light weights, this trimmer minimizes any back and shoulder pain. It also comes with a soft grip handle and see-through handle guard so you can safely and evenly cut your hedges.
- The Bosch Quick-Cut technology lets the blades stay open longer. This lets you finish the job in one sweep. You’ll end up with even cuts so you don’t have to trim the same area over and over again.
- The Bosch trimmer comes with the anti-blocking system. This technology, by Bosch, allows you to cut through deep and stubborn branches with absolutely no chance of the trimmer stalling.
- Another innovation by Bosch is the Syneon chip. This intelligently controls the power to the trimmer so you get a balanced and even distribution of power throughout the entire job.
- No hedge trimmer is perfect. There are a few drawbacks to the Bosch AHS 50-20 LI Cordless hedge cutter.
- It is not ideal for very large or high bushes. It does not come with blade extenders. It is best for use on small and medium-sized bushes and hedges.
- The Bosch trimmer is only operating on 18 voltage. It is not as powerful as some other commercial trimmers. However, this can be a plus. For household use, you don’t really need the high levels of power.
What customers have said about this product
It is always helpful to know what other people say about a product. People who have bought and used the product are often the most honest about a product. Customers who have bought the Bosch cordless hedge cutter have had very good things to say about it. Here is a summary of what they have said in reviews:
“Easy to use and cuts through branches easily”
“Simple to use and well made”
“Well balanced and a joy to use”
“Best cutter I’ve owned in 40 years”
“I wish I had bought one years ago!”
Customer reviews about the Bosch hedge trimmer are positive. The approval rating is overwhelming. There wasn’t a single poor review that we could find on this product. That is always a good sign!
The Bosch cordless hedge trimmer is available for purchase on amazon.co.uk. Check it out to see images and more detailed product descriptions.
NETTA 10.8V Cordless Hedge Trimmer Cutter – Best Budget Option
Some of us are, indeed, on a budget. Perhaps you are buying a hedge trimmer for your first apartment or house. Or, maybe you need a tool for a rental property. You don’t necessarily want to spend hundreds of dollars on a power tool. You still want to find a product that is of high quality, however. You don’t want to have to buy the product again in 6-months. You want to know it will last and stand up to the job.
If you’re looking for a cordless hedge trimmer for under £40.00, this is the perfect one for you. If all you need to do is maintain your bushes and hedges, this trimmer will do the trick. You don’t have to spend a ton of money to get a quality cordless hedge trimmer.
This hedge trimmer by NETTA offers all of the features seen on many more expensive hedge cutters but for a very low price. It’s cordless and lightweight so it’s easy to get medium sized hedges trimmed in no time at all.
It’s also easy and safe to use. It comes equipped with a blade guard and dual safety switch to keep your hands from getting cut. The 35 cm diamond ground blade is very precise so you can get expert professional looking topiary.
Here are some additional features of the NETTA cordless hedge trimmer:
- Weighs 2.4 kg
- Cuts branches up to 14 mm thick
- Charges in less than 4 hours
- 10.8 voltage
- 2000 Ah lithium ion battery included
This trimmer does come with blade covers and a battery charger. It lasts about 40 minutes for continuous cutting. It comes equipped with additional safety features such as a safety guard and hand guard. This hedge cutter does come with a telescopic handle so you can use to cut high branches. This is a feature is sold separately with most other hedge trimmers.
The Pros and Cons of the NETTA hedge cutter:
No product is perfect. You have to expect that with a product as cheap as the NETTA hedge trimmer, there may be a few bells and whistles missing. Here are the pros and cons of this product.
- The NETTA is very easy to handle. It is very lightweight and not hard to manoeuvre around.
- This trimmer cuts through thick grass, shrubs and branches. You wouldn’t expect this from a product so inexpensive.
- The telescopic pole makes it very easy on the back.
- It does come with less voltage than most standard hedge trimmers.
- The charge doesn’t last as long as you may like. It is closer to 3 hours than 4.
- You do have to use both hands due to dual switching.
What customers think of the NETTA hedge cutter
Here is what some customers have said about the NETTA cordless hedge trimmer:
“Best purchase ever.”
“Useful lightweight trimmer.”
“Just what a gardening princess loves.”
This cordless hedge trimmer is ideal for people on a budget. For such a low price, you get a quality product that will serve its function. It even has some of the bells and whistles of the more expensive models. Also, you can always look to buy separate accessories if you need your hedge trimmer to do certain things. For example, most companies offer a separate telescopic pole. This makes it possible to extend the trimmer to reach out of the way leaves and branches.
DEWALT DCM563P1-GB 18V XR Cordless Hedge Trimmer
– Best Luxury Model
If you have a large yard or just want the best of the best, you’ll love the DEWALT DCM563P1-GB 18V XR Cordless Hedge Trimmer. It has all the bells and whistles you can possibly want from a hedge trimmer. It also has the added benefit of being cordless.
This lightweight offers all the features of a professional hedge trimmer but is easy enough to use in your own backyard. The Dewalt offers top performance thanks to a two-level reduced gear. It comes with all the safety features you could possibly want with a hedge trimmer.
Some of the features of the Dewalt Lithium-Ion Cordless power hedge trimmer are:
- Safety lower blade
- Two-hand operation for enhanced safety
- Operates on 36 volts of power
- 530 mm blade with 21 mm cutting ability
- Trigger guard
- Batteries with capacity display so you know when it needs to recharge
- Air-cooled technology ensures that it charges fast and lasts a nice, long life.
The Dewalt hedge trimmer goes above and beyond for safety. In addition to the other safety features highlighted here, it also comes with transparent hand protection. This allows you to see the area you are cutting while you work. It also comes equipped with a blade quick stop that will shut off in .3 second.
Pros and Cons of the Metabo Power Hedge Trimmer
There really aren’t many cons to the Dewalt cordless hedge trimmer. You truly do get what you pay for with this product. You get all the benefits of a professional trimmer without the heavy, super powered machine.
- Diamond ground knife teeth cut at the perfect angle of 30 degrees so you have absolutely seamless lines atop your hedges and bushes.
- Because of its ergonomic design and rubber handle, it is a back saver. It runs at a low level of vibration so it is kind to your body.
- The automatic shutdown switch offers extra safety. You don’t have to worry about any children or inexperienced gardeners getting hurt.
- The unit comes with overload protection so you don’t have to worry about it overheating or shutting off.
- The Dewalt hedge trimmer is a bit heavier than most. It weighs in at about 3.9 kg. However, it does work with a higher power level so it gets the job done faster.
- The blades are longer than the standard trimmer so you have to be careful the first few times you use it.
- The price – it is a bit more than your standard everyday hedge trimmer.
Although it does come in at a bit more than you would normally spend, the Dewalt Lithium-Ion Hedge trimmer comes with a 3-year warranty for the battery. You have the peace of mind that it will last a long time.
When you’re spending a good bit of money on a household product, you want to know that it is going to work. Cordless hedge trimmers are supposed to make your life easier – not harder. That is why this Dewalt hedge trimmer is perfect for you. You get the bells and whistles of expensive power tools, without paying the big-ticket price.
Terratek Cordless Hedge Trimmer with Telescopic Extendable Pole – Trimmer with the Longest Reach
If you have shrubs and hedges that are high off the ground, you want a hedge trimmer with an extended pole. You don’t necessarily want longer blades – you want a longer pole. This long reach trimmed by Terratek comes with a telescopic extendable pole so you can reach those super high hedges.
Another benefit of this product is that not only is it great for high hedges – it is also ideal for awkwardly placed hedges. It works great on low lying bushes because you don’t have to bend over to reach them. You save a lot of back pain and muscle strain by being able to work in a standing position.
The Terratek cordless hedge trimmer cuts evenly and flat. It has a 1.8m extendable pole and cuts cleanly up to 14 mm in diameter. This product is high performance as well. It comes with an 18V motor that makes the trimmer work quickly. You can tackle stubborn and difficult hedges with ease and convenience.
The lithium ion battery offers up to 45 minutes of continuous trimming. It recharges quickly as well, starting back up with up to 20V of power. It will settle back in at 18V after a few minutes to offer an even cut.
Here are some of the features of the Terratek Long Reach Cordless Hedge trimmer:
- Easy and safe operation
- Cuts up to 450 mm
- Runs on 1300 mAh lithium-ion battery
- 3-5 hour charging time
- Telescopic pole extends up to 1.8 m
This hedge trimmer is great for people who have high and low hedges and shrubs. From a standing position, the telescopic pole allows you to reach these extreme heights without having to bend over or climb behind branches. If you have this type of shrubbery, this product by Terratek is perfect for you.
Pros and Cons of the Terratek cordless hedge trimmer:
For being priced so reasonably at under £90.00, there are a lot more pros than cons with the Terratek long reach trimmer.
- It comes with an adjustable 120-degree head that pivots at 5 different levels to allow for easy trimming at the top and bottom of hedges.
- This trimmer is a very safe product. It comes with a single-handed power trigger to turn off and on easily. It also comes with a safety switch which prevents accidental use.
- The Terratek comes with dual action 450 mm steel hardened blades that also come with aluminium blade support. The blades are durable and will stand up to the toughest branches.
- This trimmed does weight a bit more than most. It is about 3 kg which is not quite as heavy as a commercial trimmer, but a bit heavier than your run of the mill unit.
- You do have to be prepared for the extra 2 V of power when the battery is first recharged.
Overall, the Terratek long reach cordless hedge trimmer is a winner. It offers the heavy-duty power of a commercial trimmer with the added benefit of being lightweight. Since it is cordless, you don’t have to worry about dragging cables all over the yard.
One of the most convenient parts about the Terratek is that it can reach just about any hedge or branch you need to cut. Just extend it out as far or as short as you need it to be. You can adjust it according to the landscaping you are doing that day. This is not available on other models of cordless hedge trimmers.
What do Customers think?
Customers who have purchased the Terratek long reach cordless hedge trimmer have had good things to say. The most common thought is that it does all the work of a fancy trimmer without the price tag.
“Quality trimmer with the fancy packaging of leading brands.”
“Very good tool to have.”
“Does the awkward jobs you normally pay gardeners to do.”
“A really useful cordless hedge trimmer.”
As you can see, this is a quality cordless hedge trimmer. It is ideal for people with high and hard to reach hedges. It takes away the need to carry a ladder around with you when you’re working on the yard. This allows you to work more quickly and more efficiently. It is kind to your back and your pocket.
Qualtex GDN 109 24V Cordless Lightweight Hedge Trimmer – Fastest Charging
A major complaint about cordless machinery is that they take way too long to recharge. Most cordless hedge trimmers do take between 3 and 5 hours to recharge. This is even with high-quality lithium ion batteries. Most companies recommend that you keep a backup battery charged at all times. This allows you to finish your entire landscaping job in one sitting.
The cordless lightweight hedge trimmer by Qualtex is different. It recharges in about 1 hour. This eliminates the need for a backup battery pack. It also reduces the lag time you lose when you’re waiting for your batter to recharge. Get your entire yard done in one day with this quick charging battery operated trimmer by Qualtex.
Although it recharges in less than an hour, this trimmer still works for a continuous 40 minutes. this is just as long as other cordless hedge trimmers. The great thing about this hedge trimmer is that it is short on recharge time, but not short on features. It is convenient to use and offers the safety features you come to expect from a company like Qualtex.
Here are some of the key features of the Qualtex Cordless Hedge Trimmer:
- 2-point safety switch
- Rotating trimmer head
- Adjustable telescopic pole
- 24V rechargeable lithium ion battery
- Laser cut blade
- Trimmer head has 5 positions
- Soft grip handle
- Dual safety switches
This cordless hedge trimmer by Qualtex offers a soft grip handle so it’s comfortable in your hands. You won’t have to worry about a constant strong grip on the handle so your hand won’t suffer cramping halfway through the job.
The telescopic pole allows you to reach as far as 250 additional centimetres for optimal reach. This is perfect for hard to reach shrubs and hedges both high and low. You don’t want to have to use a ladder to reach the hedge tops. With the telescopic pole, you won’t need a ladder. You can reach high and low from a normal standing position.
Safety should always be an important concern. This hedge trimmer offers the safety features you need to protect yourself and your family. It comes equipped with blade covers so there is no fingers or hands being cut. It offers dual safety switches so it can’t accidentally turn on. You don’t want your kids or pets hitting a single power button and getting hurt.
Pros and Cons of Qualtex Quick Charge Cordless Hedge Trimmer
It is hard to find fault with this quick charge cordless trimmer by Qualtex. It offers the safety features you come to expect with power tools. It also offers convenience and easy use. Here are the pros and cons of the Qualtex cordless hedge trimmer.
- So many other power tools take up to 5 hours to recharge. It is a huge asset to have a cordless hedge trimmer that charges in less than an hour.
- The laser cut blade offers precise and even trimming for the tops and sides of your hedges.
- This 24V cordless hedge trimmer offers the power necessary to cut through stubborn branches and leaves. Most standard cordless trimmers only go up to 18 voltage so this one offers an additional 6 volts.
- The 5 position pivot head allows you to rotate the trimmer to reach awkward angles and spots in your yard. This means you don’t have to stretch and contort your body as much while landscaping.
- With the extra power, comes a little bit of extra weight. Although it is marketed as a lightweight cordless hedge trimmer, it is a bit heavier than most. Customers have commented on this very fact in customer reviews.
- The trigger is located at the bottom end of the pole. It would be much more user-friendly if it was located further up the pole. It would be easier to reach and would allow for more uninterrupted work.
- The harness fitting is situated a bit too high for most users. You need the harness and belt because of the extra weight.
The fact that this battery recharges in under an hour is amazing. Even if the hedge trimmer is a bit heavier than you would expect, it is worth it to people who are eager to finish their jobs in one day. Nobody wants to spend the whole weekend doing yardwork. This quick charge allows you to take a short break for lunch and finish the job by the end of the afternoon.
Customers Thoughts on the Qualtex Cordless Hedge Trimmer
There is not as much feedback on the Qualtex hedge trimmer as there is on other models. However, the feedback seems to be mostly positive:
“It extends 20 inches and charges in 60 minutes.”
This hedge trimmer “does the job.”
“I expected a much lighter tool.”
The customer reviews seem to match the pros and cons of the product. You really have to weigh the benefits of having a quick charge versus the heavier than usual weight of the product.
The Final Verdict
We’ve given you a highlight of some of the best cordless hedge trimmers on the market. Now it’s time to look back at the products we reviewed. The types mentioned here seem to encompass all the types of cordless hedge trimmers people could ever possibly need. There are different types of tools for different types of jobs. It really depends on what your situation calls for. A lot of the decision will come down to:
- How big is your garden?
- Do you have very high reaching and low standing hedges and shrubs?
- How important is the weight of the product to you?
- Are you looking for a long reaching hedge trimmer?
- How powerful do you need your tool to be?
- Is safety most important to you?
- How important are continuous work and a fast charge?
We highlighted 5 categories of cordless hedge trimmers here. We wanted to cover the different possible types of tools our readers may need. Here are the 5 areas we focused on:
- Long reaching
- Quick charging
- All around quality
If you have already decided on electric versus petrol, these cordless hedge trimmers offer the best on the market today.
Last update on 2019-02-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API